Caretaker Position Available
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES:
Performs routine janitorial and maintenance work in the municipality’s buildings and related grounds; does related work as required.
DISTINGUISHING FEATURES OF THE CLASS:
Employees in this class do manual work requiring physical endurance and perform a variety of routine and repetitive tasks on a continuous basis. Work is performed under the supervision of a higher-ranking employee who makes assignments and reviews work. Supervision may be exercised over a small number of cleaning personnel.
EXAMPLES OF WORK (Illustrative Only)
- Cleans and services buildings by sweeping and mopping halls, offices, stairways, lavatories and related rooms
- Collects and disposes of refuse and services lavatories for maintenance of sanitary conditions
- Washes walls and windows; cleans lighting fixtures; moves furniture and equipment
- Makes minor repairs to buildings and equipment such as unplugging toilets, replacing light bulbs, repairing furniture
- Cuts grass, prunes shrubbery; keeps areas in orderly clean condition
- May assist in maintaining recreational areas by taking care of baseball fields, natural ice rinks, tennis courts, etc.
- May tend to a small furnace, remove ashes, shovel snow and sweep walks
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Good knowledge of building cleaning and maintenance supplies and procedures
- Working knowledge of the maintenance and repair of buildings, fixtures and equipment
- Ability to make a variety of simple repairs and adjustments to buildings and equipment
- Ability to supervise the work of cleaning personnel and to maintain simple records
- Ability to get along well with others; industry and dependability; good physical condition
ACCEPTABLE EXPERIENCE AND TRAINING:
*Completion of a standard grammar school course and one year of experience in general janitorial work. Candidates must be in good physical condition and must be able to perform satisfactorily the duties of the positions which often require considerable physical effort.
*NOTE: The position is in the Labor Class and the acceptable training and experience noted above is only advisory.
AFSCME 2021 Pay Rates
Starting Pay is $17.49
Resumes to be submitted by June 24, 2021 to:
Richard "Dick" Crawford Jr., Superintendent of Highways
Grand Island Highway Dept.
1820 Whitehaven Road, Grand Island, NY 14072
or email: firstname.lastname@example.org