GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES:
Performs routine janitorial and maintenance work in the municipality’s buildings and related grounds; does related work as required.
DISTINGUISHING FEATURES OF THE CLASS:
Employees in this class do manual work requiring physical endurance and perform a variety of routine and repetitive tasks on a continuous basis. Work is performed under the supervision of a higher-ranking employee who makes assignments and reviews work. Supervision may be exercised over a small number of cleaning personnel.
EXAMPLES OF WORK (Illustrative Only)
- Cleans and services buildings by sweeping and mopping halls, offices, stairways, lavatories and related rooms
- Collects and disposes of refuse and services lavatories for maintenance of sanitary conditions
- Washes walls and windows; cleans lighting fixtures; moves furniture and equipment
- Makes minor repairs to buildings and equipment such as unplugging toilets, replacing light bulbs, repairing furniture
- Cuts grass, prunes shrubbery; keeps areas in orderly clean condition
- May assist in maintaining recreational areas by taking care of baseball fields, natural ice rinks, tennis courts, etc.
- May tend to a small furnace, remove ashes, shovel snow and sweep walks
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Good knowledge of building cleaning and maintenance supplies and procedures
- Working knowledge of the maintenance and repair of buildings, fixtures and equipment
- Ability to make a variety of simple repairs and adjustments to buildings and equipment
- Ability to supervise the work of cleaning personnel and to maintain simple records
- Ability to get along well with others; industry and dependability; good physical condition
ACCEPTABLE EXPERIENCE AND TRAINING:
*Completion of a standard grammar school course and one year of experience in general janitorial work. Candidates must be in good physical condition and must be able to perform satisfactorily the duties of the positions which often require considerable physical effort.
*NOTE: The position is in the Labor Class and the acceptable training and experience noted above is only advisory.
AFSCME 2021 Pay Rates
Starting Pay is $17.49
Resumes to be submitted by June 24, 2021 to:
Richard "Dick" Crawford Jr., Superintendent of Highways
Grand Island Highway Dept.
1820 Whitehaven Road, Grand Island, NY 14072
or email: email@example.com
Job Posting – Part-Time Recreation Attendant
The Town of Grand Island Golden Age Center has a job opening for the following position:
Title: Recreation Attendant
Salary range: $12.50-$13.72/hour
Application Deadline: Application, resumé & cover letter due to the Golden Age Center, attn.:
Jennifer R. Menter, Recreation Supervisor – Senior Citizens, 3278 Whitehaven Road, Grand Island,
NY 14072 by 12:00pm on Friday, May 21, 2021
Anticipated Start Date: Tuesday, June 8, 2021
Minimum Qualifications: Completion of high school; OR completion of grade school and four (4)
years of work experience; OR an equivalent combination of training and experience. Part-time
and/or volunteer experience will be pro-rated towards meeting the full-time experience
requirements; clean driver’s license
Preferred Qualifications: Completion of high school AND (4) years of work experience, including
at least two (2) years of experience working with the senior population
Pertinent Skills: Excellent customer service; handling demanding situations in a professional
manner; handling working with people with different personalities and different levels of care
The Golden Age Center is looking for a Part-Time Recreation Attendant, to work as a
Recreation Attendant, 19 hours/week, typically with hours between 8am – 4pm. Some weekends are
required for upcoming special events. Work schedule will be set to meet the needs of the
The selected applicant will have the pleasure of working in a family-oriented atmosphere.
The selected applicant will helping to drive seniors to appointments throughout the course of the
day; having a good sense of direction and being comfortable helping seniors in and out of the
vehicle is a must. Coordinating communication, messages & rapport with drivers and seniors alike
is MOST important. Enjoying working with the senior population, including disabled clients, is a
MUST for the ideal candidate. Flexibility, being very organized, and being able to multi-task is a
must for the selected applicant, as our days are fast-paced. Additional responsibilities include:
assisting in special events at the Golden Age Center, set up for programs and special events,
including close up of programs and events; assisting with basic food preparation; writing reports;
basic first aid; ability to comprehend, remember and follow detailed instructions; physical condition
commensurate with the demands of the position, including being able to lift 20 lbs.