- Building / Code Enforcement / Zoning
Building / Code Enforcement / Zoning
This department is responsible for the enforcement of the New York State Commercial and Residential Building Codes and Fire Prevention inspections, within the Town of Grand Island, as well as the various portions of the Town Code.
Building permits are issued, plans and specifications are reviewed and various inspections are conducted.
We assist the public, contractors, and design professionals in understanding the various code requirements as they apply to their particular projects.
We prepare periodic reports, notices, and related documents. We perform required fire safety inspections of existing buildings and investigate complaints relating to code violations.
Whether you are a contractor or a resident planning a project, we can help you.
- New York State Commercial and Residential Building Codes
- Enforcement of the Town Code
- Building Permits
- Reviewing Plans and Specifications
- Building inspections
- Required Fire Safety Inspections
- Investigating and resolving complaints relating to code violations
- Agricultural Districts with Zoning (PDF)
- Application for Site Plan (PDF)
- Design Standards (PDF)
- Electrical License Application (PDF)
- Grand Island Licensed Electricians (PDF)
- Grand Island Master Plumbers (PDF)
- NYS Unified Solar Permit (PDF)
- Plumbing License Application (PDF)
- Residential Sidewalks (PDF)
- Time of sale inspection application
- Zoning Map (PDF)
- Do I need a building permit?
Requirements for Building Permit Application
- Please refer to Chapter 125 and Chapter 407 of the Code of the Town of Grand Island before considering any construction project. Be advised that your project may be subject to review by the Architectural Review Board and or the Zoning Board of Appeals. If you have a commercial project, site plan approval will be required from the Planning Board and the Town Board.
- Refer to Chapter 125, Section 125-5A2 of the Town Code to see if your project requires a building permit.
- Refer to Chapter 125 (Construction Code) of the Town Code for the projects that require a building permit, such as a dwelling, garage, dock deck, pools, solar panels, generator, etc. Please note that as of October 3, 2016, the State of New York recognizes the codes from the International Code Council. Please contact your design professional or the Town Building department for any assistance with these codes.
- Be advised that a Grand Island licensed electrician and/or plumber are required to perform this type of work.
- Refer to Chapter 407 for your Zoning requirements, such as setback and height requirements, special use permits, agricultural animal permits, and variance applications.
- Refer to Chapter 407 Schedules 1 through 4 for references to setback requirements in all districts, off-street parking requirements, and Zoning schedule of use controls in all districts.
- Refer to Section 407-18 for Special setback requirements such as riverside and county road setbacks.
- Please review Section 407-5 (Compliance required), Section 407-9 (Word Usage), and Section 407-10 (Definitions) of the Zoning Code.
- After you have reviewed the requirements for your project please submit all your information to the Building and Zoning Department for code review.
Please contact the Building and Zoning Department at 716-773-9600 ext. 646, should you need any assistance or have any questions.
- How Do I Get a Building Permit
Bring project description and survey to Building Department